The Dance Health Alliance is a Not for Profit Organisation facilitating therapeutic dance classes for people living with chronic cognitive and movement challenges.
We would love YOU to become our dance partner!
"We were born to move, every day in every class I see a small miracle...Alzheimer's patients suddenly engage in their surrounding and sing every word to the songs on our playlist. People with severe tremors become fluid in their movement as they dance to the music. I have even seen individuals' walk from class forgetting their walking sticks! But most of all there is a tangible feeling of JOY!! Gwen Founder of DHA
With your help, we can hire spaces, train teachers and offer subsidized classes to people in desperate need of physical, psychosocial and cognitive wellness.
Every class participant is referred to as a Dancer, and this is what our dancers say about the program...
Hope 'Dancer' "It's great exercise that you can do when you lack full mobility, I enjoy the people the teachers and the music. The DHA class fills my day and keeps me social.
Beth 'Dancer' "I've had MS now for more years than I care to remember, but the DHA program makes me feel elegant and like a dancer"
So why Dance...?
1. Dance is inclusive - there are no targets and no failures.
2. Dance has many positive social aspects that help to overcome feelings of social isolation and depression.
3. Dance is a good source of aerobic exercise and a well-designed dance session can also provide low-level resistance exercise.
4. Dance has physical health benefits including improvements in balance, strength, and gait, which help reduce the risk of falls.
5. Dance has been shown to be beneficial in the direct treatment of a number of conditions including MS, arthritis, Parkinson’s disease, dementia, and depression.
6. Taking part in dancing has been shown to reduce the chances of getting dementia by 76%.
7. Taking part in dance also improves the mental health of older people including reaction times and cognitive performance.
This New Year we invite you to help somebody DANCE...!