The Sisters of the Good Samaritan (known affectionately as the Good Sams) were Australia’s first ‘home grown’ order of religious women, established in Sydney in 1857 by Archbishop Bede Polding. The Sisters take their name and inspiration from the Parable of the Good Samaritan. They share a commitment to be ‘neighbour’ to those in need, with a special focus on assisting vulnerable women and children.
The Sisters’ first home in Pitt Street Sydney was demolished in 1901 to make way for the construction of Sydney’s Central Railway Station. Historic Toxteth House at Glebe Point became their new residence. Now, after more 150 years serving the poor and needy, the Sisters original mission continues. Working with their partners in ministry, the Sisters bring compassion and justice to an expanding global neighbourhood.